Monday, March 4, 2013

Recipe:Beefsteak


One of the benefits of living with Matty is that he's a fantastic cook. It means I have to do the dishes, but when I get to eat terrific food like this, I don't mind one bit. This is one of my favorite meals that he makes for us. It's a recipe he learned from a Filipino friend in college, and it's quite simple and incredibly delicious. I'm warning you though- it's really really salty and really lemony, but that's how we like it. The first time I had it, I don't think I cared for it all that much, but now I crave the lemony saltiness of it. I'm sure you could alter the proportions to your liking. I find I like it best when he uses big sweet vidalia onions, but he likes regular yellow cooking onions best, because they have a little bite. Also, the amounts listed are approximate, this is a recipe he literally throws together by eyeballing it.  I encourage you to give it try. We eat it over hot jasmine rice. YUM!

Beefsteak

1/2 c lemon juice
1/2 c soy sauce
2 lb sandwich steaks (flank steak also works well)
2-3 medium onions
4 tbsp olive oil


1. Add the lemon juice to the soy sauce in a bowl. Matt uses a big glass Pyrex one that doesn't react with the acid.
 
2. Pound your steak between plastic wrap to 1/8". You can also slice your meat thinly. Cut the meat into 2" squares.

3. Add the meat to the lemon soy marinade. This is where I tell you to marinate overnight. Usually, Matt marinates the meat for 30 minutes whiles he slices the onions, wipes the tears from his face, and gets the skillet nice and hot.


4. Sllice onions to 1/2" thick rings.

drool



 5. The marinated meat should have browned in the marinade. I think the acid helps to cook it. Get your skillet or wok nice and hot. It's best to use a skillet with high sides if you have one. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to the hot skillet. It should be so hot the oil smokes.





6. Use tongs to add the meat to the skillet. Be careful- the oil will spatter.









 7. If you have a skillet with high sides- push the meat up the sides of the pan to avoid stewing the meat in it's juices
8. Cook over high heat until the marinade is reduced.
9. Add the remaining marinade back to the pan and deglaze (scrape up all the delicious flavor nuggets cooked on the bottom). Cook for a minute.

10.Remove meat and  marinade to a serving dish. Add remaining oil to skillet and return to high heat. Add several tablespoons of the cooked marinade and onions and cook until translucent and crisp tender.

11. Heap cooked onions over steak. Serve with hot cooked rice!




No comments:

Post a Comment